Ear Punch Samples
Genomnz is moving to ear tissue punch sampling as the primary method for all testing.
Currently the only provider of a suitable ear tissue sample collector is Allflex but it is likely that there will be other suitable products in the near future. The Allflex product is called a TSU (tissue sampling unit) and can be purchased directly from Allflex or from Genomnz. A surcharge will apply for ear punch samples in non-Allflex samplers. Please contact Genomnz for more information.
TSUs can be linked directly to an ear tag and farmers can order paired TSUs and ear tags directly from Allflex – i.e. you can get a pack with your NAIT tag, visual tag, and TSU so that you can take the sample and remove the need for any manual recording.
The benefits of TSUs in the laboratory are that they give high quality DNA which can be used for all current and new technologies. On farm benefits are that you can tag and sample at the same time as well as scan the barcode.
How to collect a sample
- Take the next sampler from the box and load into the applicator and make sure the grooves line up. Turn the tube retainer round the sampler to ensure it is held tight.
- Squeeze the handles to secure the sampler and that it lines up.
- Release the handles and remove the red plastic clip. The clip can now be discarded.
- The applicator is now ready to take the sample.
- Record the Tag/YoB next to the correct barcode on the box.
- Sample from the middle of the ear and avoid any veins. Squeeze any handles until the applicator clicks. Pull the handles of the applicator in the opposite direction. There should be a hole punch through the ear, and a visible sample in the sampler.
- Check that the red plug is in the sampler. The sampler should be kept cold while the rest of samples are collected.
Samples should be kept frozen until they are ready to send. Send on an overnight courier with an ice pack.
Submitting Ear Punch Samples
See our sample submission page for information about submitting ear punch samples or to download our submission form.