easiTrace™ samplers can be used for Booroola testing in sheep only.
All that is required is a drop of blood blotted onto a piece of filter paper. The paper contains preservatives that allow the samples to be stored at room temperature. easiTrace™ samplers need to be dry before they are packaged and sent to us.
Contact Genomnz to send you the easiTrace™ samplers, these cost $1.00 per sampler.
easiTrace™ Sampling Procedure
A copy of this easiTrace™ sampling information is also available for download.
How does the label work?
Blood is blotted (not excessively) on to the blotting-paper strip on the back of the adhesive easiTrace™ label. The blood and DNA become bound into the paper. The paper contains preservatives that allow the samples to be stored at room temperature.
How to sample
- Peel the easiTrace™ label from its backing
- Take a blood sample using one of the following methods:
- Prick the ear with a lancet and drip a couple of drops of blood on to the paper strip
- Wipe the paper strip on an area of animal/meat where blood is present
- Stick the easiTrace™ label on to the bar-coded ticket provided
- It is preferable not to collect samples in the rain
- Let the sample dry completely – do not let samples dry in direct sunlight.
How much to blot?
- The amount of blood on the second sample is perfect
- Saturating the sample with too much blood can lead to:
- Cross-contamination from one sampler to another
- Difficulty drying the blood sample
- Poor blood preservation and inadequate DNA extraction
- Make sure that hands are clean of all blood before each sample is taken
- Clean lancet thoroughly between taking samples or use a new lancet for each sample
- Try not to let samples come into contact with each other until the samples have dried.
What information is required?
- Correctly record on the bar-coded ticket
- Tag Identifier (BirthID/Herdbook ID/Registration No.)
- Complete a submission form and ensure all essential animal information is provided
- For easiTrace™ sampling kits please contact the Genomnz laboratory
- Allow the blood to dry and store the samples dry at room temperature
- Do not store in plastic bags because condensation can occur
- Correctly stored samples are stable for several years and can be sent for analysis as required
Submitting easiTrace™ Samplers
See our sample submission page for information about submitting easiTrace™ samples or to download our submission form.