Hatchery based production allows for genetic improvement of fish and shellfish species through selective breeding in order to meet the demand of the consumer. Identification of the parents is essential to this process.
Genomnz is conducting parentage testing on several species of finfish and shellfish in collaboration with NIWA and other New Zealand research institutions. Working with the domestic aquaculture industry has also led to interest from overseas markets, including Iceland and Australia.
We are able to process a variety of aquaculture sample types. See our sample types page for more information.
In addition to collaborative work, Genomnz also offers commercial DNA parentage testing to the wider aquaculture industry:
- Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua)
- Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar)
- Chinook Salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha)
- Other finfish and shellfish species.
Potential applications of DNA technology in the aquaculture industry include:
- Stock strain identification
- Estimation of genetic variation
- Screening for markers for production traits
- Individual identification
- Reseeding programmes, genetic enhancement, breeding programmes
Submitting Aquaculture Samples
See our sample submission page for information about submitting aquaculture samples for any of the above services or to download our submission form.